A couple of months back, The Skinny organised a poll, voted for by both writers and readers, to find out what peoples’ favourite Scottish albums of the decade had been. The writers were to nominate their top ten, with the readers just plumping for their favourites. I have to admit, I found this much trickier than the usual Ten of the Year. A whole decade of Scottish music?
I lived in Edinburgh for almost four years and have been writing for The Skinny for just as long. In that time I was exposed to oodles of good new Scottish bands. Despite that, my list is still pretty populist. Most of the bands are relatively well-known. As The Skinny prepare to reveal the final Top Twenty, here’s my own Top Ten Scottish Albums of the Decade.
1. Frightened Rabbit – The Midnight Organ Fight
2. Belle & Sebastian – Dear Catastrophe Waitress
3. The Twilight Sad – 14 Autumns…
4. The Beta Band – Hot Shots II
5. Camera Obscura – Lets Get Out Of This Country
6. The Delgados – Universal Audio
7. Idlewild – 100 Broken Windows
8. FOUND –This Mess We Keep Reshaping
9. The Twilight Sad – Forget The Night Ahead
10. Boards of Canada – The Campfire Headphase
Video: Frightened Rabbit – Heads Roll Off